We have been working since a few month on a deep rewrite of the Android App and you can now begin to test it.
- full rewrite of the client using Kotlin
- latest android libraries (typically: Jetpack, Room, Material 3 a.k.a Material you)
- management of image using glide for better display and image cache
The perimeter of the app is almost unchanged (there are not many new features) but it should work better and faster.
We have then a solid foundation to have more features in a near future.
You can already get the new version in the play store by choosing to install the beta version. Migration should run smoothly from older 2.x versions - you only loose the local cache that is not migrated.
We would love to hear your feedback to fix the last glitches and be able to go live ASAP.
Thanks in advance!
Bruno for the team
With the latest beta version we are almost there. Simply get it on the Google store after registering as a beta tester.
Is there anyone willing to work on translation, it should be quite straightforward and not to heavy (only 800 words to translate in comparison with that has 22k+ words)
A few more new things in v3 for info:
- we now have a night mode
- better handling of large folders (v2 had a known limitation at 100 files per level)
- better control on transfers also you can now directly share with Cells from any other app on your device…
Let us know what you think!
I think I could help with translation.
Hey @rotaru thanks for the offer, which language could you take in charge ?
@bsinou I am a native Russian speaker, so that is my choice.
I must admit, this was not in the short list I had in mind , but let’s be inclusive, also in facts…
So, here it is: Cells Android Client translations in Crowdin, together with the other languages we should be able to translate soon.
If anyone feel left out and want to contribute in another language, let us know!