I’m just starting to experiment with Pydio Cells and consider it a wonderful piece of software!
In order to evaluate the possibilities of the system, I’m trying to implement quite a simple use case as follow:
- A Pydio Cells server is deployed by someone who wants to share files with different entities.
That is the very purpose of the software of course
- Each entity should have a dedicated space to access the files intended for it and should not be able to access files intended for other ones.
It seems logical to consider that, in Pydio Cells, each entity would then be represented by a Group created under Identity Management > People.
It would then seem obvious to create a folder for each Group and adapt the Workspaces Accesses of this Group to only allow Read or Read/Write access to this folder. Unfortunately, I discovered that, in the Home Edition, one would have to create separated datasources for each entity as I commented in the Simple folder access use case - Cannot make it work topic…
- Users of the respective entities would be assigned to their respective Group. Those users should have specific possibilities, like the ability to create Public Links, or Cells but only accessible to other users of their own Group…
At this stage, using the Home Edition as a testing ground, I’m facing two main difficulties:
The Address Book that is presented to the user contains all users of the system. I looked for a way to restrict that to only the users in the same Group, as presented in the Users/teams visibility section of the documentation. Unfortunately (again), and contrary to what one might think reading this page, this Visibility option doesn’t seem to be accessible in the Home Edition.
Based on the Roles and inheritance documentation page (cannot link since I can only use 2 links as a new user ), I also tried to understand how to create a Role that would apply to a certain Group. Creating a Role named after the same name as the Group didn’t work. From the documentation I though that maybe using a starting “/” before the name would work (i.e. rolename = /groupname), but it didn’t either.
Thus I came to this forum to ask if someone could:
- Tell me whether it is possible, in the Home Edition, to control (limit) users visibility to only their own Group (restricted address book)?
- Help me understand how to create a Role that would apply to a specific Group?
Any help would be welcome.
Thank you very much.