Cells purging question

Hey, we’ve been trialling Cells for a while now and have noticed files are not being purged. The retention policy is set as “30 days max”. The documentation doesn’t say I need to setup a cron job as I had to do for Pydio v8 so I assumed it would do its thing automatically. Am I missing something?

Hello @scott.bentley,

If you are referring to the versioning, then you should have only the last 30 versions of a file(one for each 30 previous days).

To make sure that I understood your request, You wish for the files that are 30 days old to be Deleted forever from your Cells?

Thanks @zayn,

Yes, we want the file to be permanently deleted. We do not use the product as a file management tool and specifically do not want users storing tons of documents forever. Our use-case is to provide file transfer and limited collaboration between staff and clients. Purging files regularly is necessary to (a) relieve staff from having to remember to do it themselves and (b) ensure we aren’t using any more disk space than absolutely necessary for our use-case purposes.

Hey @zayn, just wanted to check in on this and see if you have anything else to add. Is purging a feature that is likely to be implemented in the future? Should I attempt to write a plugin of some sort? Where would I start if I wanted to write a plugin that would perform file purging?

Thanks,

Scott

A plugin development guide with some boiler-plate code would be, indeed, very nice to have.

One way would be to use the sdk to create a custom task that deletes (ran with a cron or systemd),

The go-sdk, allows you to CRUD the resources therefore allowing you to list and delete data. (you could list data and check if it is old by X days then proceed to delete).

If you are stuck, tell me and I’ll write a snippet for you.

You could also script something with the cells-client