Backup & Restore Plan

Good Day everyone. I really am enjoying using Pydio for personal file storage. It was exactly what I was looking for.

However, a system is only as good as its backup/restore plan.

As I continue adding more information to the system, I wanted to inquire more about Backing up and Restoring Pydio on a system. I searched through the forums and did not seem to find anything related to a backup/restore plan.

I am able to do the basics… aka backup the database and copy the file structure for a backup scenario,but upon further inspection of the data, I cannot come up with the proper amount of hard drive storage that says “hey, you got that!”

Where is the data “PHYSICALLY” located?

Sorry if this is a trivial question, but I am trying to prepare a Pydio system to last the next 10 years, and am just trying to be prudent and careful and need a working backup/restore protocol to implement.

What is everyone using to accomplish this crucial important task?

Thanks for your help.

Jason

I have a backup script that I run capturing LOTS of configurations for lots of apps. I have the following stanza for pydio; I have NOT tested a restore yet. I purged a bunch of thumbnails and cached stuff from the backup to simplify, you don’t need to do that.

# Ajaxplorer/Pydio
echo -e "# Ajaxplorer/Pydio - Begin Backup"
cp -Rp /usr/share/pydio "$backupdir/usr/share/"
cp -Rp /etc/pydio "$backupdir/etc/"
cp -Rp /var/lib/pydio "$backupdir/var/lib/"
rm -Rf "$backupdir/var/lib/pydio/data/cache/diaporama_130"
rm -Rf "$backupdir/var/lib/pydio/data/cache/diaporama_200"
rm -Rf "$backupdir/var/lib/pydio/data/cache/diaporama_1000"
rm -Rf "$backupdir/var/lib/pydio/data/cache/diaporama_1300"
rm -Rf "$backupdir/var/lib/pydio/data/cache/diaporama_1440"
rm -Rf "$backupdir/var/lib/pydio/data/cache/diaporama_3240"
rm -Rf "$backupdir/var/lib/pydio/data/cache/diaporama_57600"
echo -e "# Ajaxplorer/Pydio - End Backup\n"

Thanks for the reply.
Interesting, I shall try out the backup script.

I did figure out that the “/folder/subfolders” with the database backup should be sufficient for a restore.
I have an older Drobo 5N that I will try it out on in the coming weeks and report back on the status of the script as well as the restore.

Jason

I tried the script, and although I liked it, it still left the warm comfy feeling I was looking for missing.
I therefore, deployed and now use rsync to keep a backup copy of the /var/www/pydio/data file structure on a scheduled basis and that seems to work well thus far.

As for the restore, although, not as elegant… a simple copy/paste & permissions change restore works well overall. I was able to move off the drobo5N with 6.08 to a dedicated Linux box running 8.0…mainly because I had to, as the indexing didn’t work at all, and the Drobo got its pants all bunched up and bent me over the post…(that was a fun 3 weeks).

Thanks for the script idea.

Version 8 “indexing” changed my life… I can finally find stuff in the massive collection of files and docs.
Happy guy. :slight_smile: Now, i’ll sit and wait till I can upgrade to cells.