File and folder rename won't allow to change case

Hi! I created an issue in the github repo about this, but maybe those issues aren’t being checked, so I’m posting it around here…

Issue

When I attempt to rename a file or folder by changing only the letter case of one or more characters (for example, trying to rename a folder from ‘test-Alvaro’ to ‘test-alvaro’), the Cells doesn’t allow the change. It treats the original name and the new name as if they were identical, even though they differ in capitalization.:

cellsrename

From what I’ve seen, this is due to one of the React prompt validators switching everything to lower case before comparing the strings:

Lines 29 to 35 in cells/frontend/front-srv/assets/gui.ajax/res/js/ui/ReactUI/modal/PromptValidators.js

MustDifferFrom: (original) => { 
     return (value) => { 
         if(value && value.toLowerCase() === original.toLowerCase()) { 
             throw new Error('rename.newvalue.error.similar') 
         } 
     } 
 }, 

This (same file name, different case) shouldn’t be a problem as we’re:

• Using a case sensitive storage (so file names shouldn’t collide)
  • Using flat storage (so file names won’t collide anyway as they’re all unique)

This looks like just a frontend check that maybe has a technical reason, or maybe not. Does it?

Versions

• Debian 12
  • ext4 fs
  • Pydio Cells Home Edition 4.4.3
  • Flat storage
  • local MySQL DB

Temporary Workaround

Meanwhile I’m changing the file name to an intermediate one (e.g. test-Alvaro --> test-something --> test-alvaro) and that works, but it’s a bit of a hassle, so I’d like to know…

Solution ?

Maybe it’s interesting either:

• …removing the lower case comparison from that test…
  • …or having a configuration option to disable it?

Hi @tecleandor and welcome to the forum.

I answered in the Github issue but to sum-up:

• many thanks for the detailed feedback
  • there may be an opportunity to address this in the v5 but we cannot promise anything yet.
1 Like

Thanks!

I added some details just in case it’s useful for the future.

Hello,
Thanks for the solution, this is very helpful for me.

This topic was automatically closed 11 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.