Cells 2.0 RC2 + CellsSync : testers welcome!

We are coming closer to general availability of Cells 2.0, the most advanced Content Collaboration Platform written in 100% Go. This is a Release Candidate.

New CellsSync Desktop Client

The next Cells version provides a desktop sync client that replaces (at last) PydioSync for Cells. This is a major step in fulfilling the promise of the initial rewrite of Pydio in GO language, as CellsSync is written in the same language and shares most of its libraries with the server. For this reason, many server components where also extended under the hood.

Most important changes in Cells server :

• The Sync library, that was used inside DataSources to mirror the object service modifications to the index service of each datasource was fully rewritten. This same library is used for server-to-desktop synchronization, and can even be used in other interesting scenariis : server-side folder-to-folder sync (directly through datasources), server-to-s3 storage sync (for realtime or scheduled backups), etc.
  • The Authentication brick, originaly based on Open ID Connect, has been greatly rethought to allow external applications to use the server as a standard OIDC Identity Provider. Typically, adding an account inside CellsSync opens a common OAuth2 workflow by opening the server login page and getting a token back to the application. CellsSync does not know anything about users credentials locally.
  • Windows Support : Cells server can now smoothly run on Windows as well.

Downloading Cells 2.0.0-rc2 and CellsSync 0.9.0

To download and test binaries on all platforms, please refer to this Release Note document.

PLEASE Carefully read the “Reporting Bugs” section: we will use the CellsSync repository issues to collect feedbacks.

1 Like

Hi

Testing Cells-sync 0.9 on Windows and Linux

I have an AWS Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS server with Cells 2.0 RC2 installed with SSL

Once I opened the port 44137 for gRPC on the server I get the following from the Windows console cells-sync-noui.exe on my Windows 10 Laptop while trying to select the folder to sync.

Request error :transport: received the unexpected content-type "text/plain; charset=utf-8"

On Debian 9.11 test server I get the following on running ./cells-sync from bash

./cells-sync: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

If this is of any help

Regards Mark

hi mark
Regarding the port issue : what about “opening the port for gRPC”? do you have a proxy ? a firewall? Did you manually force the gRPC external port using the env variable?

Regarding Debian, you probably already checked, but are you 100% sure you used the linux-amd64 binary?

Hi Charles

On AWS I had to adjust the Security group (AWS firewall ) for my instance only for port 44137, no other changes necessary on the Ubuntu server.

For the linux client I only saw one option for download and yes its the linux-amd64 binary.

https://download.pydio.com/pub/cells-sync/release/0.9.0/linux-amd64/

The problem is the 4.9.0-9-686-pae architecture on my test environment.

OK so I tested on a pure x86_64 and got a different result.

Now on:

Linux centos7 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So got the following:

./cells-sync: error while loading shared libraries: libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But on this production server I dont want to install the webkitgtk4 libraries and all its dependencies, I will have another go on a virtualbox x86_64 and get back to you.

Regards Mark