Structured storage as default

For first post, please answer the questions below!

Describe your issue in detail

How can we use structured storage right from the start as the default? I’m trying to have my files as “normal” as possible in the filesystem.
I’m installing in docker and mapped the data folder to a local folder so I can access it.
The default datasources are already created with flat storage and I can’t change them.
Any help/guidance on reinstalling or migrating to structured storage would be most welcome.

What version of Cells are you using?

Cells 4.3.2, on docker

What is the server OS? Database name/version? Browser name or mobile device description (if issue appears client-side)?

Ubuntu 22.04, docker compose

What steps have you taken to resolve this issue already?

Tried cells admin datasource migrate, but doesn’t run since cells is already started in normal mode and couldn’t figure out my way around that.

Thanks.

Hi,

Please try env: CELLS_DEFAULT_DS_STRUCT
default: false

Hello, thanks for helping out.
Can you expand a bit? Where is the env file? Do I need to reinstall?

Thanks

yes, if you can afford it, the easier would be to reinstall.

Defining an environment variable in your docker compose file like this:
CELLS_DEFAULT_DS_STRUCT=true
would do the trick if you want that all your datasources (DSs) use the “structured” mode.

You can also:

• migrate existing DSs from flat to structured but it is more complicated.
  • only use structured DSs for your data: just choose the coorect mode when creating a new DS

Thus said, if you directly modify files on the FS - which is not recommended - , do not forget to resync the DS afterward

hey @bsinou, I’ll reinstall then since I’ve just started. I just want to have my files in a readable way outside cells.
What do you mean by using structured DSs only for my data? That would be fine by me. So after installing I get the default DS already created for my user in flat mode. How can I then proceed to have my files in structured mode?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Once everything is installed, just go to the admin, create a new DS and choose “import existing storage” rather than “flat” in the first popup.

A quick look at the doc to understand the concept might also help you :wink:

like this: Datasource Format | Pydio and this: Datasources overview | Pydio

ok, thanks.

I’ve been reading the docs but for an outsider or newcomer it’s not very clear, at least to me.
For instance, I want to create 2 users, each with their own files.
When I started I couldn’t figure out how to change the file structure of the 1st user (from default flat, to structured).
Also, I couldn’t find info on how to configure a new user’s structured datasources instead of the default ones.
Alternatively how to change the user datasources after having created the user.

Maybe I’m not following pydio’s logic yet, it’s still pretty opaque to me. And reading the docs has been a slow process.

Thanks.

Did you achieve to create a new structured datasource that points toward the expected location in the file system ?

If you have only a few couple of users, the easiest way to go would probably to:

• create a structured datasource that points toward the expected location on your FS
  • create a workspace that uses this datasource with no permission by default (When you create a workspace, you can choose between: Read, Read/Write or no permission)
  • edit the user that should be able to access this
  • in the “Workspace accesses” tab of the user editor popup, give read and write permission on this workspace.

Let us know if it addresses your need. Configuring the My Files of the specific user to point toward the correct location is a little bit more complicated.

Hey there. What a coincidence. I tried just what you said before reading your suggestion.
Was pretty easy. The only thing I did wrong was giving read/write privs to the workspace. I’ll correct this and adjust each user’s privs instead.

One question - why are the files created under root ownership? Can I change it?

Thanks. Really enjoying pydio!

Another related question - having created a new workspace to use structured files, how can I have each user with its own folder? Like:

new_datasource_root/user1
new_datasource_root/user2

So they don’t see each other’s files.

Thanks.

So what I did was to create different workspace for each user, since I can’t create a new folder template (only enterprise).

This topic was automatically closed 11 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.