When cells sends out notifications it uses the mail address as configured for the mailer plugin for both, the “From” mail header and the envelope.
Currently, there is no option to set a display name to be used for the “From” mail header which makes it hard for the recipient to identify the application/sender (or cells instance). Here we need the ability to control the senders display name.
The default should by to use the application title (as configured in core.pydio plugin). An option should be mane available to override this mailer setting.
For invitations we face a different issue. Here the users display name and email address as configured for the user account are used for the “From” mail header. This causes issues in most setups as nowadays a system has to have permission (SPF, DKIM, DMARC, …) to send mail on behalf of a sender domain. Also, if authentication is required on the MSA, usually only a specific sender address is allowed for the authenticated session.
The default should be to use the sender address (and display name) as configured for the mailer service. There should be an option to chose between:
- use the global sender address/name (mailer service setting) - this should be the default
- use the users mail address/name as “from” mail header, but use the global address for the envelope and add a “sender” mail header
- use the users mail address/name as “from” mail header and for the envelope
Optionally a “reply- to” mail header should be made configurable and should allow to:
- do not set a reply-to mail header
- set a static reply-to mail address
- use the users mail address for the reply-to mail header
This should cover most configurations.