Pydio cells installation

Hi there. I was tryng to install pydio cells on Ubuntu 18.04.2 Server (in Hyper-V) using this guide

instead of downloading the 1.0.1 version (as linked in the guide) I have downloaded the 1.4.0
The problem occurs at the moment in which I run the command “./cells install” because I get this:

panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil point dereference

I was thinking that it could occur because the apache2 service is running (in the beginning it’s specified that this service has to stop) but it installed itself at the moment I installed php and I’m not able to stop it. Maybe this is the problem?

Regards,
Gabriele

Hi,
you could disable apache, but it should not be an issue if you are binding cells to a port different than 80 or 443.

@zayn couldn’t this be linked to the need of having an private IP ?

Thank you. So what do you think I could do to try to solve this problem?

sorry charles, I didn’t read your answer. The Ubuntu server got an IP from DHCP. We need tu run Pydio Cells on a local network, I suppose this could change something

As Charles pointed it out, do you have a private interface on your server.
usually you should have one.

This is the entire stack if you need.

Could you show me the output of your ifconfig,
you can hide the sensitive addresses.

Here it is

Could you describe what you put on the settings when you install,
more importantly what you put for the internal & external urls.

I followed the guide above. I installed a clean Ubuntu Server 18.04.2 then installed and configured mysql and PHP. No changes to the network or other. When I go to install cells I get that error. In the meanwhile I will try to repeat the installation on a physical machine and not in a virtual environment

It should not be an issue that you are on a physical machine or virtual env.
By the way php is no more required.
Do not hesitate to ask me if you are still stuck.

Ok, I will try a new installation whthout php. Let’s see what happen

nothing, reinstalled ubuntu + mysql and at the moment of installing cells the same error as above. Maybe wrong permissions to the install file?
I run on it :
sudo chmod u+x cells
sudo chown pydio.pydio cells

Hi,
are you running ./cell install as the pydio user ?

during install I made only one user named pydio

Hi @assitec

I don’t know why but Pydio Cells needs one IP address in private range, and 192.0.x.x is not private range.
You need to fake one network with a private ip range:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

Regards, Hrvoje

Hi @charles

I still don’t get why Pydio Cells needs a private IP to make it work?
Is 127.0.0.1 not private enough?
Why force the use of 10.0.0.0, 172.16.0.0, 192.168.0.0 ?
Why would you limit it like that?
Not every server on the internet is behind some proprietary Firewall/NAT solution, a lot of them are directly on the internet, and the explanation in troubleshooting is realy stupid: “This typically happens on small VPS that are hosted in the cloud and don’t have a private address by default.”

Regards, Hrvoje

Zayn, checking the version I realized that 1.4.0 was released yesterday. I dowloaded the 1.2.5 and the install started. Do I need to install PHP for this version?

thanks for your tip Hrevoje, I suppose have to reach that situation yet. I’m trying to install now. How do I have to configure the host parameters to have pydio working in a local network?