Prometheus in docker-compose setting

I am trying to run pydio cells following this documentation page Running a Cells container behind a Traefik reverse proxy | Pydio. I took the first example and added prometheus as in the “live environment” section. It seems to run fine but when I check /prometheus/targets they all fail with something like

Get "http://127.0.0.1:41645/metrics/77cb655a-7a50-4f2a-a5d4-58af7f5c6f5c": dial tcp 127.0.0.1:41645: connect: connection refused

Which makes sense because in

➜ cat ./metrics/prom_clients.json | jq
[                                              
  {                                            
    "targets": [                               
      "127.0.0.1:43645"                        
    ],                                         
    "labels": {                                
      "__metrics_path__": "/metrics/8131a2d8-f2ff-45de-9b2e-9b81e25ed1a8",
      "instance": "s:^pydio.grpc.jobs$",  
      "job": "cells",                          
      "pid": "54",                             
      "rootID": "8131a2d8-f2ff-45de-9b2e-9b81e25ed1a8"
    }                                          
  },  

the target address is always 127.0.0.1, which is not accessible from the prometheus container. I guess replacing it with the name of the docker-compose service could do the trick, is there a config that I missed for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi @batonycle and welcome

You are indeed right, the conf described in the doc is not correct.

For this kind of setup we cannot use “file_scraping” but rather “http scrapping”.

We have introduced this recently in cells. It is still experimental but we use it massively in our tests / validations setups.

I have updated the doc, but it is not yet pushed to the web server, you can yet find it here:

Let us now if some things are still unclear or not yet correct.

Hi @bsinou

thank you for the response and for updating the docs!
I will test this and let you know if I manage to make it work.

All good I finally get my metrics!
I just had to modify the port in prom.yml to 8080 because I use the cells image from linuxserver.io (need the arm64 image for my raspberry pi)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.