Panic on Pydio Cells start

I’m not familiar with CentOS…but I think this article is of some help, https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53233

This work for CentOS7 https://www.networks.guru/2018/01/27/creating-a-dummy-interface-on-a-linux-unix-based-systems/

thanks…

Hi there, i have the same problem with debian9 - mysql-server 5.7.25.1debian9
ulimit -n 8162 id
uid=1001(pydio) gid=1001(pydio) groups=1001(pydio)

$ ./cells install

Welcome to Pydio Cells Home Edition installation
Pydio Cells Home Edition will be configured to run on this machine. Make sure to prepare the following data

• IPs and ports for binding the webserver to outside world
  • MySQL 5.6+ (or MariaDB equivalent) server access
    Pick your installation mode when you are ready.

:heavy_check_mark: Command line (performed in this terminal)
:heavy_check_mark: 144.210.32.31:8080
:heavy_check_mark: External Host (used to access this machine from outside world if it differs from Bind Host): 144.210.32.31:8080
:heavy_check_mark: Disable SSL (not recommended)

Database Connection

:heavy_check_mark: TCP
:heavy_check_mark: Database Hostname: localhost
:heavy_check_mark: Database Port: 3306
:heavy_check_mark: Database Name: cells
:heavy_check_mark: Database User: pydio
:heavy_check_mark: Database Password (leave empty if not needed): ********
:heavy_check_mark: Successfully connected to the database

Frontend Configuration

:heavy_check_mark: Admin Login (leave passwords empty if an admin is already created): admin
:heavy_check_mark: Admin Password: ********
:heavy_check_mark: Confirm Password: ********

Advanced Settings

✗ There are some advanced settings for ports and initial data storage. Do you want to edit them:

Performing Installation

2019-01-22T17:49:03.342+0100 INFO Starting installation now {“bindUrl”: “(http)://144.210.32.31:8080”}
:heavy_check_mark: Created main database
:heavy_check_mark: Created default datasources
:heavy_check_mark: Configuration of gateway services
:heavy_check_mark: Creation of logs directory

:heavy_check_mark: Installation Finished: please restart with ‘./cells start’ command

$ ./cells start
panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference
[signal SIGSEGV: segmentation violation code=0x1 addr=0x28 pc=0xf8b90a]

goroutine 276 [running]:
/pydio/cells/vendor/github.com/micro/go-web.(*service).Init(0xc424861680, 0xc424932cc0, 0x8, 0x8, 0x24, 0x1)
/opt/teamcity/agent/work/b7c550f2c973b54c/src/github.com/pydio/cells/vendor/github.com/micro/go-web/service.go:298 +0x31a
github.com/pydio/cells/common/service.WithWeb.func1.2(0x6cead80, 0xc4248e1800, 0x0, 0x0)
/opt/teamcity/agent/work/b7c550f2c973b54c/src/github.com/pydio/cells/common/service/service-web.go:80 +0x529
/pydio/cells/common/service.(*service).Start(0xc4248e1800)
/opt/teamcity/agent/work/b7c550f2c973b54c/src/github.com/pydio/cells/common/service/service.go:370 +0x1fe
created by github.com/pydio/cells/cmd.glob..func27
/opt/teamcity/agent/work/b7c550f2c973b54c/src/github.com/pydio/cells/cmd/services-start.go:150 +0xa3

Any idea ?
Many thanks

Hi,
could you tell me the type of your installation, vps, virtual machine, … ?
and also do you have a private interface on your server?

Hi zayan, many thanks for the prompt reply.
Well, looks like a secondary network interface iwith an IP address is fully necessary to start cells for transparent proxy reason …

I have created a new one on the server and just now can start it :slight_smile:

Basically this server is a vmware box running over a ESX’s cluster.

We use to have NAT’s for host in DMZ - i’m new with this new code and starting project to move all our pydio plateforms (not so far from 25)

I will keep you in touch sure :wink:

Regards,

Stef

Hi,

Cells requires at least one private IP because one of its services - NAT requires this address. NAT is mostly for internal communication between services so it does not run with public IP. NATS: the Secret to Microservices in Go and Python that Scale without Complexity | by Kyle Hanson | Medium

Well, but I think it can be a loopback address, not any other private address…can’t it? Actually the latest micro/go-web will use a loopback address if there is no private addresses.

A similar issue happened to me with the install process. I accidentally found out what fixed it. Give it a shot and see if it works?

I followed the instructional step-by-step at the following link: https://pydio.com/en/docs/cells/v1/ubuntu-systems

But when I went to install, it wouldn’t let me. I tried it multiple times as the standard user, before I decided to run through the steps again.

So here’s all I did different and it worked:

After creating the user “pydio” and creating the MySQL database, and downloading and installing Pydio Cells at the newest version 1.6.1 (for Ubunutu 18.04 LTS installation), I switched to the root user with the command “sudo -i”

I then changed directory with: cd /home/pydio and then I ran “su - pydio” and then ran the ./cells install command, and the install went through clean. No panic error.

For some reason, running pydio as my standard user with elevated privileges (typing sudo before each command) wasn’t good enough. I had to be running as root, from the proper directory before I could run the command to su - pydio and ./cells install.

Hopefully this helps some others.